Joe Staples is a featured contributor to The Impact of AI on Modern Marketing: 50 Categories Ranked, 70 Experts Sound Off report.
Here's the complete contribution:
AI has a lot of promise. However, like so many other technologies when they first hit the market, they tend to be misunderstood (I still hear people asking, “what is AI anyway?”) and overhyped (many companies slapping an AI label on whatever piece of technology they can find). That said, as AI evolves and matures, it will have a major impact on how we market. Marketers should avoid keeping up with AI developments at their own peril.
So where does that leave AI today as part of the martech landscape? One of the most promising AI areas is in redefining how marketers work. This is done by augmenting productivity and helping them do more with less. By automating work flows and eliminating mundane tasks to make room for more critical priorities, marketing professionals are better able to focus on priorities such as creative thinking, design and front-end research. We found in our 2016-17 U.S. State Of Marketing Work Report that marketers only have 38% of their time to spend on primary job duties. Most of the remaining 62% is spent on wasteful meetings, excessive email and unnecessary oversight. Eliminating that “fake work” as we sometimes call it, can be a major boost for companies. AI has the ability to have an impact on these inefficiencies.
In short, as part of its capabilities AI will allow marketers to eliminate mundane work and focus on the right work while delivering work with less errors, on time and on budget. For example, AI-related technology is already automating status updates, catching errors through digital proofing tools that we’d otherwise miss, and helping us recall certain pieces of creative work or research more efficiently so we don’t reinvent the wheel every time we start a project.
- Read the complete report: The Impact of AI on Modern Marketing: 50 Categories Ranked, 70 Experts Sound Off
- Access full contributions to this report: #future of ai
- Help Joe promote this contribution using the sharing bar on your left.